Sections

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Bringing a Game Gear back to life

I recently recovered a Sega Game Gear from a box full of junk: the seller told me that probably it wouldn't work, so he sold it for a very small amount of money, but sadly had no games to go with it.
As soon as I got home I tried powering it up using batteries: It turned on but it also left me with a black screen and a very dim backlight illumination (the black screen turned out to be normal on the original Game Gear units without BIOS).
My repaired Game Gear
Keep reading if You're interested in some nasty repairs ;-)


While searching for information about the console I ran into THIS great page about a common problem present in early GG units: faulty capacitors on the main and audio boards.
Game Gear mainboard (VA1 model)
I ordered a game (Sonic 2) from Amazon and in the meantime opened the thing up to check for problems: a few capacitors leaked (and in one place the corrosive fluid ate away part of a circuit trace) so I undertook the nasty job of doing a full capacitor replacement on all the boards. I also fixed the corroded trace on the circuit. All the capacitors that need replacement were surface-mounted ones and I had only normal barrel-type electrolytic ones around, so had to be very careful fitting them as their size could prevent the console plastic shell from correctly closing up.

On the right of C54 is the trace that got corroded
Some replaced capacitors
Today (around a week after I finished the repairs) my test cart finally got here, and everything turned out to be working fine (backlight also got much brighter after the cap replacement)! And now i can go play the only game i own ... :-P

No comments:

Post a Comment