Sections

Friday, November 29, 2013

Building the GBA1000: Part 0x02

Ok, good news and bad news.
Bad first: I found out that the SRAM chips I got together (CY7C1049CV33-15VXC) with the GBA1000 mobo are not rated for 5v, but for 3.3v. I did not bother to check because the two got sold together as a kit... Lesson learned: ALWAYS DOUBLE CHECK THE DATASHEET!!!

 Oh well: there are reports of working GBA1000 builds even with these chips, but I'm quite doubtful about the reliability of those machines. I bought a lot of properly rated chips this time, and will have to desolder the old ones. BLEARGH! This thing alone helped me making my mind up on buying a hot-air soldering station, which I'll use to replace these ram chips before adding other components in the vicinity.


As for the good news, I've been able to source around 60% of the required DIP chips from my own personal stock of scrap boards, and I've been also able to find proper ICs for the four CHIP RAM slots. I've already soldered these as they're pretty far away from the 16 FAST RAM ICs I'll have to remove.

4 comments:

  1. Where can Amiga enthusiast get one of these new computer boards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. amibay not working, thanks for responding

    ReplyDelete