Sections

Thursday, November 21, 2013

Exhuming an old project: Building the XT-IDE. Part 2

Between all the small packages the postman left at my door today, I got one with a few 74F573 logic ICs inside: just what my XT-IDE was missing to get basic functionality (to get the serial port working I still need the proper oscillator)!
XT-IDE being tested with a Disk-On-Module

Apparently the board works fine in the testing environment: partition, format, r/w and booting of both a Disk-On-Module and a 6gb Maxtor IDE disk were ok. Sadly, on my XT clone the board behaves erratically and the data written on the same disk that worked fine during the tests gets corrupted, making the device unusable.
I have yet to pinpoint the cause of this nasty problem: but it's probably related to some defective RAM chips in the machine, as I previously suffered very similar problems using a SCSI card+disk combo  (a problem that I blamed on the card drivers at the time).
The board is almost complete!
Next step is trying to debug the corruption problem and start using this board for what it was meant: adding some nice modern storage to XT machines!

No comments:

Post a Comment