Sections

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

First prototype of the AKAB (Amiga Keyboard Adapter Board)

I've finally received the printed boards for my prototype of the AKAB: the Amiga Keyboard Adapter Board I designed!
The purpose of this device is connecting a cheap & common PS/2 compatible keyboard to Amiga big-box (like the A1000, A2000 etc.) and Amiga 500 computers. The design is pretty simple, and involves a single active component (an Atmega 328P microcontroller) and a few passive ones. Everything is through-hole, so it's pretty easy to build.

Here is the first built proto:
First AKAB prototype

I've currently tested the device with my A2000. Here is a pic I took while testing the input inside with notepad from Amiga Workbench:

The adapter is powered by the Amiga keyboard port, it supports in-circuit programming (so I can update the firmware without removing the microcontroller) and also supports the Amiga's three-finger-salute (CTRL-Amiga-Amiga, which on normal PS/2 keyboards becomes CTRL-Win-Win) to force a machine reset.

I'll write about pricing and add additional information as the testing continues!

4 comments:

  1. Sweet, Been looking for this for ages!
    Id definitely be willing to buy one (PAYPAL or Ebay) if your willing to sell for a reasonable price?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would be interested also. Any closer to pricing?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The project can be considered almost complete. I just need to finish testing on an Amiga 500 (which I have). The biggest problem is time, as my jobs sucks most of it right now. Just need to get off my arse and complete this...
    Anyway, the price tag was to be around or little less than 20€ for a complete board. No idea of what volume I need to get to this, but I bet I can reach it if I try a cheap PCB maker in China.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Fabio, awesome work! Just downloaded your source rep as ZIP and check out the Amiga keyb lib. I'm wondering (or propably more confused) what pin numbers you are using on the Atmega for "Clock" and "Data" (Amiga Keyboard Input Pins)? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete